If you are not an SUSD student, please go to your home district to apply for a work permit.
How to Obtain a Work Permit
- Students will print out the Form B1-1 Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit-Certificate of Age or pick one up from their school office.
- Students will complete Minor’s Information and School Information.
- Parent or legal guardians must sign their portion of the form.
- Students must return completed Form B1-1 with all signatures.
- Work Experience Teacher will confirm they have all necessary requirements met.
- If the permit cannot be written when dropped off, students will be contacted when the Work Permit is ready (usually 24 to 48 hours) to be picked up.
- Students must take the completed Permit to Employ and Work (Form B1-4) back to the employer.
- Work Permit Applications must be signed by the employer.
- A parent or guardian must also sign the application.
- The student’s social security number is required to process a work permit.
- Student ID will be verified through district records.
- The completed “official” work permit is signed by the student and the approved administrator, so the student MUST BE PRESENT to pick it up.
- Each new job site requires a new work permit.
- All work permits expire one week after the new school year begins on August 3, 2023 (Permits expire on August 11, 2023).
- Labor Laws Brochure
- SUSD Work Permits and Work Experience Education
- Young Workers Health and Safety Website
Let's Get A Job!
- Get hired with no work experience
- The #1 thing people forget to bring to interviews
- 5 Tips to Find Seasonal Employment
- What Does Customer Service Mean to You
- 10 Reasons Why You Didn't Get The Job
- WorkNet Job Seekers Workshops
- WorkNet Teen Job Seekers Website
- Explore Careers, Training, Job Search, Find Local Help
Sample Interview Questions
- T-Mobile Job Interview Questions
- Panera Bread Job Interview Questions
- Old Navy Job Interview Questions
- Verizon Job Interview Questions
You Got A Job!
- Don't Be A Jerk: Dos and Don'ts of asking for time off work
- Download the Young Workers App - it has all the laws and policies that are relevant to you!
- Things to Know About Getting Your First and Last Paycheck
- How to Handle Leaving Your Job
- More on Final Paychecks
Links to Check Out!
- Job Corp
- Peace Corp
- Department of Industrial Relations - Do you need to know laws that apply to teen workers? Do you need to file a complaint? If you have questions, talk to your Work Experience Coordinator.
- NIOSH - National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health - Find out about safety and health on the job for youth.