SUSD Physical Fitness Test
WINDOW: FEBRUARY 1 - MAY 5, 2023
There are no planned changes to the 2023 assessment from last year. The PFT will include:
- Administering 5 of the 6 fitness tests
- Giving raw scores to students
- Recording participation only
Physical Fitness Test Overview
What is the Physical Fitness Test (PFT)?
The California Physical Fitness Test (PFT) is a comprehensive, health-related physical fitness battery of tests for students in grades 5, 7, and 9.
This test is in accordance with California Education Code Section 60800 and the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 1041.
How is the PFT assessed?
The State Board of Education (SBE) designated the FITNESSGRAM as the assessment for the PFT.
What is the FITNESSGRAM?
The FITNESSGRAM was developed by the Cooper Institute to measure student fitness level.
It is designed to assess three main categories of fitness: Aerobic Capacity, Body Composition, and Muscular Skeletal Fitness.
These categories are further broken down to six fitness zones:
- Aerobic Capacity
- Body Composition
- Abdominal Strength and Endurance
- Trunk Extensor Strength and Flexibility
- Upper Body Strength and Endurance
To find out more, visit the Cooper Institute FITNESSGRAM website at http://www.cooperinstitute.org/fitnessgram.
SUSD Physical Fitness Tests
Each Fitness Zone has a required SUSD test, as shown below.
Click on the image for more detailed information on the tests. **Note the BMI has been removed for the Spring 2022 administration.
For additional information please view:
- California Department of Education Training videos for all videos (youtube)
- California Department of Education Individual Training Videos:
Height and Weight Measurements
In accordance with the CDE for the Spring 2022 administration, we will not be taking height and weight measurements.
PFT Official State Results
The California Department of Education (CDE) collects the physical fitness test results and provides aggregate results to the school districts and public. Results are provided to and included in the following:
- The Governor of California and the California Legislature.
- Students and parents, by the Educational Research and Accountability Department
- Each school's annual School Accountability Report Card (SARC).
Results are posted on the CDE's Dataquest website: Dataquest
- 2023 SUSD PFT Google Folder
- 2023 PFT Cheat Sheet (PDF, 1 Page)
- 2023 SUSD PFT Checklist (PDF, 1 Page)