SUSD Physical Fitness Test
PFT Window Opens: February 1, 2021
PFT Results Required in Illuminate: May 7, 2021
As of June 8, 2020 per CDE notice, "the Governor withdrew the proposed legislative changes to the PFT (to suspend and study). Therefore, the PFT will continue and be required to be administered to students enrolled in grades five, seven, and nine for the 2020-2021 school year."
Physical Fitness Test Overview
What is the Physical Fitness Test (PFT)?
The California Physical Fitness Test (PFT) is a comprehensive, health-related physical fitness battery of tests for students in grades 5, 7, and 9.
This test is in accordance with California Education Code Section 60800 and the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 1041.
How is the PFT assessed?
The State Board of Education (SBE) designated the FITNESSGRAM as the assessment for the PFT.
What is the FITNESSGRAM?
The FITNESSGRAM was developed by the Cooper Institute to measure student fitness level.
It is designed to assess three main categories of fitness: Aerobic Capacity, Body Composition, and Muscular Skeletal Fitness.
These categories are further broken down to six fitness zones:
- Aerobic Capacity
- Body Composition
- Abdominal Strength and Endurance
- Trunk Extensor Strength and Flexibility
- Upper Body Strength and Endurance
To find out more, visit the Cooper Institute FITNESSGRAM website at http://www.cooperinstitute.org/fitnessgram.
SUSD Physical Fitness Tests
Each Fitness Zone has a required SUSD test, as shown below.
Click on the image for more detailed information on the tests.
For additional information please view:
- California Department of Education Exercise Reference Guide (January 2020 PDF)
- California Department of Education Training videos for all videos (youtube)
- California Department of Education Individual Training Videos:
Height and Weight Measurements
Starting in the 2019-2020 school year, nurses will only assist 5th grade measurements.
- 5th Grade – School Nurses will take height and weight measurements. 5th grade teachers will need to get the height and weight information from the school nurse and input the information into Illuminate along with the other required metrics.
- 7th and 9th Grade – PE teachers will take height and weight measurements and input into Illuminate.
High Schools with Block Schedules
- For those high schools with a block schedule, please remember you will still need to test ALL your students.
- Illuminate Class Collection Form (PDF, Download from PFT Assessment Tool, see the How To Guide for download steps)
- Excel Class Collection Form
- Individual Collection Form
Online Input Tool
- 1718 Physical Fitness Results
- To download individual results, click on the link above or:
- Sign in to Illuminate
- Click on Reports on the left
- Click View Reports
- Search for 1718 Physical Fitness Results, click on the report
- On the top, click Form Letter and choose Download
- You will see a yellow band pop up stating "Your form letter is generating. Go to Scheduled Jobs to see the status of your form letter and download the file."
- Click on Scheduled Jobs
- Once the status is Finished, click the download button on the right
*Below reports will populate once information is input for 2020-2021
- SUSD PFT Certiciates are for eligible students who have reached HFZ in 5 of the 6 fitness zones.
- Must be individually requested by teacher no later than May 7, 2021.
- Please allow 5 school days to receive the certicates.
- You will receive a PDF file with the certificates, which will need to be printed by the school site.
- To request the certificates:
- Email Chandra Cooper with:
- Your grade level
- Your Principal's formatted name
- Your preferred formatted name
- Email Chandra Cooper with:
PFT Official State Results
The California Department of Education (CDE) collects the physical fitness test results and provides aggregate results to the school districts and public. Results are provided to and included in the following:
- The Governor of California and the California Legislature.
- Students and parents, by the Educational Research and Accountability Department
- Each school's annual School Accountability Report Card (SARC).
Results are posted on the CDE's Dataquest website: Dataquest
- 2020 SUSD PFT Full Training Presentation (PDF, 28 Pages)
- 2020 PFT Cheat Sheet (PDF, 2 Pages)
- 2020 SUSD PFT Checklist (PDF, 1 Page)