Assembly Bill 104


    What is AB104?

    Governor Newsom has signed Assembly Bill (AB) 104 which includes several provisions designed to address learning loss that occurred during the 2020-2021 school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These provisions include:

    1. Parents/guardians of students who were enrolled in high school in the 2020-2021 school year can request a grade change.  Eligible individuals may apply to have a letter grade changed to Pass or No Pass.  The grade change cannot have a negative impact on a student’s grade point average. 
    2. Exempt a pupil who was enrolled in the pupil’s third or fourth year of high school during the 2020–21 school year and who is not on track to graduate in four years from all coursework and other requirements adopted by the governing body that is in addition to the statewide coursework requirements specified in Section 51225.3.   These students will have the opportunity to complete the statewide coursework required for graduation which opportunity may include but is not limited to, completion of the coursework through the fifth year of instruction, credit recovery, or another opportunity to complete the required coursework.
    3. A local educational agency, upon receiving a written request from the parent of an eligible pupil to retain the pupil for the 2021–22 school year, shall offer the parent consultation with the parent, the pupil, the administrator, and a teacher. A consultation shall occur within 30 calendar days of receiving the written request for a consultation and shall include a discussion of available supports.


    Grade Change Requests

    Requests are available to SUSD students that were in grades 9-12 in the 2020-2021 school year. Once information is shared with parents, they have 15 days (August 30 - September 15) to submit the Grade Change Form. Once the request is received by the district, we have 15 days to make grade adjustments.

    The Governor has extended the deadline to October 1 for students to submit grade change applications to pass/no pass.

    1. Grade change to P (pass): a posted grade of A, B, C, or D can be changed to a P.
      ** credits toward graduation are earned for these grades.

    2. Grade change to NP (no pass): a posted grade of F or NM can be changed to a NP.
      ** credits toward graduation are NOT earned for these grades.

    3. Please visit our website for a complete list of the colleges/ universities that will accept P (pass) grades for the 2020-2021 school year.


    Graduation Requirement Changes

    Subject Area Required Credits
    English 30
    Math 20
    Life Science 10
    Physical Science 10
    World History/Geography 10
    US History 10
    American Government 5
    Economics 5
    Physical Education 20
    Electives 0
    Total 130



    The parents of students in grades K-11 during the 2020-2021 school year with unsatisfactory letter grades (D or F) for at least one-half of the pupil’s coursework in the 2020–21 academic year may request, in writing, to have a consultation meeting to discuss possible retention in the previous grade level. Upon receiving a written request, the school will schedule a consultation within 30 days to discuss the request and next steps.

    A consultation meeting to discuss retention does not guarantee that the student will be retained.

    Discussion during the consultation will include:

    1. Available learning recovery options including interventions and supports
    2. Access to credit recovery  for high school students
    3. Considerations of student data  to determine if retention is in the student’s best interest (academically and socially)
    4. The student’s individualized education program if applicable

    Parents will be notified of the school’s decision within 10 calendar days after the consultation.

    Students that are not retained will have access to interventions and credit recovery options.