Where do you fit?
At Health Careers Academy, one of our goals is to link the world of health to the things that students are doing in their classes and give our students the opportunity to learn about this world first hand!
If you would like to talk to someone about these Work Based Learning opportunities, please contact Maxine Areida at (209) 933-7360 or email at MaxineAreida@stocktonusd.net.
Due to COVID-19, we are planning for in person actvities for work based learning opportunities, but understand that things may need to be shifted to the virtual setting at a moments notice. Click here for the document to see our Virtual Work Based Learning offerings. And check out the list below for our in person offerings. If you have any other suggestions, please reach out to Maxine Areida and she will be happy to discuss them with you!
- Career Specifics (duties and daily activities of the job and the level of education required to be successful)
- Expertise sharing for specific courses and topics
- Classroom Topic List is continusoulsluy being updated. Check here for the most recent list.
Mock Job Interviews
- Panels of community members
- 10 minute student interviews
- Visit our Mock Interview page here.
Anywhere between a
2 hour block of time
to all 2 days
Workplace Field Trip
- Students and staff visit professional environment
- Observe work in progress and ask questions
2 hours to 4 hours
- Specific projects that need additional help
- Community events such as blood drives, health fairs, career specific volunteer opportunities
- One day activity
- Student observes the workday of a professional, interact with clients or customers, and attend meetings and other appointments.
- Visit our Job Shadow page for more details.
- Teachers visiting workplace to learn what happens on a daily basis
- Teachers return to classroom energized to share what they have learned with their classes
- Students participate and observe work firsthand
- Highly structured, time-limited experiences
- If you are interested in hositing an intern, here is the Internship Site Handbook to give you more information.
- Please fill out the proper Internship Description Form and email it to MaxineAreida@stocktonusd.net to start the process
8 to 10 weeks
Minimum of 80 hours
- Students hired by workplace and held to same expectations as all employees
- Work permit issued by HCA staff
- Student matched one-to-one with an adult professional
- Professional assists student in assimilating to college
- Mentor serves as resource by sharing insights and providing guidance
- For more info, check out our Mentoring page of our website.