Stockton Unified School District, in partnership with Delta College, City of Stockton Police Department, California Highway Patrol, San Joaquin Sheriff's Office, and District Police, opened the doors to a New Stockton Public Safety Academy in the Fall of 2016.
In recent years, law enforcement agencies have had a hard time recruiting officers. Something needed to be done. In the Fall of 2014, regional leaders, law enforcement officers and educators visited the Fairfield-Suisun Public Safety Academy. The delegation was impressed with the quality of the students and high level of performance. The whole school had a tangible commitment to excellence and community services. The Stockton Public Safety Academy will model itself after this program.
This new program is designed to prepare students with three goals at graduation:
- Develop students with rigorous academic skills
- Develop students with high levels of character and integrity
- Develop students that are physically fit
The Academy served students in the 5th through the 8th grade in the first year. Each year after that, a new group of 5th graders will be added and each class will move up until the academy is full with 5th -12th grades. Delta College will begin to offer Administration Of Justice courses in the Academy and will link the Academy to the College programs. Law-enforcement agencies will provide support, mentoring and training on a regular basis at the Academy. Students will be expected to dress in uniform each day. The Stockton Public Safety Academy will be housed in it's own building on the Stagg High School Campus near the SUSD charter school, Pacific Law Academy
- The San Joaquin Delta College Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) program and Administration of Justice department
- The San Joaquin Delta College Police Department
- The City of Stockton Police Department
- The Stockton Unified School District Police Department
- The California Highway Patrol Regional Office
- The San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office
This academy is based on the Peace Officer Standard and Training (POST) recommendations produced by the California Commission on POST