Financial Aid and Dream Act


    Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Aid also can help pay for other related expenses, such as a computer and dependent care. Thousands of schools across the country participate in the federal student aid programs.  (Source:

    There are three types of federal student aid:

    • Grants — financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund)
    • Work-Study — a work program through which you earn money to help you pay for school
    • Loans — borrowed money for college or career school; you must repay your loans, with interest


    Apply for financial aid:

    Application period: December 1st - March 2nd (applying the earliest is always recommended)



    California Dream Act - The California Dream Act allows undocumented and nonresident students (U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens) who qualify for a non-resident exemption under Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) to receive certain types of financial aid such as: private scholarships funded through public universities, state-administered financial aid, university grants, community college fee waivers, and Cal Grants. In addition, the California Dream Act, allows eligible students to pay in-state tuition at any public college in California.  (Source:

    * The California Student Aid Commission has not now, or in the past, shared any information which would indicate a student's immigration status, either documented or undocumented.


    Apply for the CA Dream Act:

    Application period: December 1st - March 2nd  (best to apply during this deadline to be eligible for the Cal Grant)

Last Modified on August 31, 2023