MASTER AGREEMENT FOR SHS INDEPENDENT STUDY
I understand that:
- Independent Study is an optional education alternative that I have voluntarily selected.
- By entering Stockton High School, I have not waived any rights as a student, and I am entitled to all Stockton Unified District services and resources.
- If I am a student with an Individual educational program (IEP), my IEP must specifically provide for my enrollment in Independent Study.
- I have reviewed the Stockton Unified School District requirements for graduation.
- I must follow all the discipline code and behavior guidelines of the Stockton Unified School District. Any violation of these guidelines or failure to meet school/district requirements could result in dismissal from Stockton High School.
- If I achieve only minimum study requirements, I will complete the minimum equivalent of a one-semester course every three weeks or a minimum of 30 credits a semester.
- If I choose to return to a classroom and opt to exit Independent Study, there will be no more than a few days delay until I am enrolled in a classroom setting.
I agree to:
- Be supervised by the designated Independent Study teacher and/or other approved resource personnel.
- Meet regularly with the assigned staff member. I understand that failure to complete 30 units in a semester will result in an evaluation to determine if I should remain in Independent Study and may also result in one or more of the following:
- A letter of concern to me and my parent/guardian/caregiver if appropriate
- A specially scheduled appointment
- A special meeting with the teacher and/or counselor
- A meeting with the administrator, including my parent/guardian/caregiver if appropriate
- Placement on probation
- Increase in the amount of time I must be on campus or in an equivalent supervised situation
- Revocation of any work permit issued until my school work is satisfactory completed
- Termination of the agreement and my return to a regular classroom program of instruction or another appropriate alternative
- Meet Weekly with the Work Experience coordinator if I am enrolled in work experience.
- Obtain transportation to class and/or scheduled meetings. I understand that lack of transportation to the school site is not an acceptable reason for lack of attendance.
- Complete my assigned work and achieve at least the minimum performance requirements of the course of study. I understand that credit, which is based on mastery of learning, can only be issued after I have successfully completed an activity and it has been evaluated. I realize that a minimum of 60 hours of work is needed for each unit of credit.
I understand that the major objective of Independent Study is to provide a voluntary educational alternative for my child. I agree to the above conditions listed under Student. I also understand that:
- Individual course objectives are consistent with and evaluated in the same manner that they would be if she/he were enrolled in a traditional school program.
- I am liable for the cost of replacement or repair for willfully damaged or destroyed books and other school property issued to my child.
- Unless otherwise indicated, a teacher or supervisor will meet with my child on a regular basis to direct and measure progress. The time and location of meetings will be determined by the teacher or the supervisor in consultation with the child.
- I am expected to encourage my child to do more than the minimum study requirements and be involved in a Work Experience, community volunteer work, enrollment in concurrent programs, or a directed project.
- I am expected to keep contact information current and to respond to notifications from school as appropriate.
- I am expected to contact the school when situations arise that affect my child’s attendance or ability to work independently.
- I have the right to appeal any decision about my child’s placement, school program or transfer according to the District’s procedures.