School Site Council (SSC)
You can view our School Site Council Meeting Schedule here:
At the elementary level, the SSC shall be constituted to ensure parity between the principal, classroom teachers, and other school personnel; and parents or other community members selected by parents.
Elementary School Model – Minimum of 10 members
50% School Staff
50% Parents/Community Members
3 Classroom Teachers*
1 Other Staff
5 Parents / Community Members
* Classroom teachers (with an assigned roster) must be the majority
SSC Roles and Responsibilities
To conduct meetings effectively, committees need to have officers with stated duties and authority, including:
Chair Organizes, convenes, and leads meetings.
Vice-Chair Serves in the absence of the Chair.
Secretary Records actions taken at meetings and keeps records.
Parliamentarian Resolves questions of procedure, uses Bylaws and Robert’s Rules of Order
Other Officers Identified as necessary to perform stated duties.
Principal Votes as a member; may not veto council decisions; ensures the council is fulfilling state and federal policies and regulations; administers the school-level activities of the school plan; may not make changes to the plan without council approval.
Terms of Office
Generally, members are selected for a two-year term. Elections for half of the members are held in even years and the other half are held in odd years. This ensures that the council will not be composed entirely of new members each year.
Responsibilities of Members
- Regularly attend SSC meetings.
- Arrive on time and prepared.
- Focus on improving student achievement.
- Review council bylaws and meeting procedures.
- Actively participate in SSC duties, including serving on special committees.
- Serve the full term of elected period.
- Communicate knowledge and concerns to the SSC, School, District, and community.
- Become an advocate for improved public education.
- Be familiar with categorical program requirements and budgets.
- Be familiar with the core instructional program.
Duties of the School Site Council
- Develop, implement, monitor, and review the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA).
- Recommend the plan to the Board for approval.
- Identify resources to support the school plan.
- Review student performance data.
- Annually, review and update the Title I Parent Involvement Policy and School-Parent Compact.
- Collaborate with other school advisory committees.
- Distribute information received at DELPIC meetings
- Disseminate information from Parent Advisory Committee (PAC).
- Conduct an annual needs assessment.
- Annually review bylaws.
- Establish an annual meeting calendar.
- Schedule training for members to learn about their role and responsibilities.
Essential information for the SSC
- Input from other school committees
- School allocations reported in the Consolidated Application
- Board Policies
- State and Federal requirements
- Student performance data
- Core curriculum and supplemental programs
- Parent involvement opportunities
- Uniform Complaint Procedures
The SSC meets monthly to discuss school improvement activities.
Meeting Topics by Category
- Role and responsibilities
- Robert’s Rules of Order training
- Review Bylaws
- Uniform Complaint Procedures
- Program requirements and compliance procedures
- Title I Schoolwide Program (SWP)
- Budgets and expenditures
- Title I Parent Involvement Policy and School-Parent Compact
Single Plan for Student Achievement
- Review goals, program information, develop/revise action plan, align budget and expenditures
- Propose changes to include in the updated plan
Academic Program and Student Performance
- Review state and district assessments and other student data
- The core curriculum, interventions, and instructional activities
- Reporting of student progress
- Importance of school attendance
- Strategies and activities for increased participation
- Opportunities at school and district
- Meetings, events, and activities
- Presented by parents or by the needs assessment