School Mission and Pledge
The mission of Taft Montessori Speciality School is to provide all students opportunities to receive a quality educational experience implementing the overarching philosophy and practices of Dr. Maria Montessori. The method of instruction may differ between the traditional classes and the Montessori Magnet classes, however, we intend to promote a clean, comfortable, and respectful atmosphere that encourages cultural and socioeconomic diversity by providing all students with the opportunity to obtain a quality public education. Taft’s aim is to equip each student with the skills, knowledge, and motivation to respond to the ever-changing world of the 21st century.
TAFT SCHOOL VISION
Taft’s vision is to create a positive environment that is a welcoming place where students, parents, and staff are able to develop and nurture the curiosity, motivation, flexibility, and enthusiasm necessary to become lifelong learners in an ever-changing world.
TAFT'S R.O.A.R Principles
A Always Safe
MORNING AND AFTERNOON ROUTINES
The morning routine will proceed as follows:
- Students may enter the front gate to enter the cafeteria and have breakfast at 7:10 a.m.; all students must enter the cafeteria, even if they are not going to eat breakfast.
- Noon-duty supervisors will release students from the cafeteria to the playground at 7:25 a.m.
- Students will stand with their grade levels until the warning bell rings at 7:35 a.m. Warning bell signals students to walk to their line. Teachers will pick up students from their line
- All grade levels have a designated area in which to stand. Taft students will not play in the bark box before school
The afternoon routine will proceed as follows:
- Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten students will be checked out in the hallway outside classroom #1. Parents will either walk to the area or drive up and have their child loaded into the car by a Taft staff member. Bus riders will be escorted to the bus by a noon duty assistant.
- All other grade levels will exit out the appropriately assigned gate (in line) led by their teacher.
- Parents are not permitted on the school grounds without an SUSD volunteer badge or signing in at the office and receiving a visitor's badge.
- To obtain an official SUSD volunteer badge, parents must complete an application through Be A Mentor. The website is beamentor.org. Or you may obtain information in the front office.
- During the morning routine, parents are permitted only in the main hallway of Taft. For student safety, parents are not permitted down any of the classroom hallways on campus before the school day begins.
- To meet with the teacher, please go to the front office to either schedule a meeting or leave a message. The teacher will be in contact with you as soon as available. Calls will not be transferred directly into the classroom as it disrupts and interrupts instruction.