WHAT IS WORK EXPERIENCE EDUCATION?
This is an elective course that combines Distance Learning instruction with paid employment. Students work at their jobs during the week andalso attend a class session once a week at school with the Work Experience Teacher. WEE students dvelop positive work habits and attitudes, self confidence, job skills and create a personal portfolio which can be used to locate, secure and retain employment. California and Federal Labor Codes allow minors enrolled in WEE to obtain more hours of work during the week.
WEE students can work: (After attending a regular school day)
- A maximum of 8 hours per day on a non school evening preceding a non school day
- Until 10 p.m. on a school night
- Past 10 p.m. with prior permission*
- Until 12:30 a.m. on any evening preceding a non school day
- Up to 48 hours total per week
*Work past 10 p.m. on a school night requires prior permission of parent, Work Experience Teacher and employer (LC1391.1) Must have signed form on file.
WEE students can earn 5 to 10 credits per semester for a total of 20 credits per year.