- Stockton Unified School District
June 17, 2020
First and foremost, we hope that you and your loved ones are safe and healthy. We have received questions from the community about if, and how, COVID-19 will change this year’s athletic season. We know this outbreak has been stressful to many and recognize that exercising and participating in activities like sports can be a healthy way to cope with stress and connect with our community. After careful thought and planning, we are excited to let you know that we plan to resume youth sports while following CDC and SJC Public Health considerations to protect players, families, and our community. For additional information on the SUSD Athletic programs please visit www.stocktonusd.net Athletic Programs.
The health and safety of our athletes, staff, and volunteers remain our highest priority. Below, you will find a summary of actions we are taking to help ensure we are lowering COVID-19 risk as much as possible while also allowing our athletes to play. The follow precaution will be followed.
- Student Athletes will be required to have a current physical on file to participate.
- Cleaning and disinfection of our facilities in frequently touched surfaces and areas.
- Student Athletes will be conditioning only outside during this stage and will not be using any equipment.
- Reducing physical closeness or contact between players when possible by allowing players to focus on building individual skills, keeping athletes in the same pods of small groups of not more than 10, utilizing different parts of the fields or alternative school sites, signage to ensure that coaches and players stay 6 feet apart and discouraging unnecessary physical contact, such as high-fives, handshakes, fist bumps, and hugs.
- Promoting healthy hygiene practices such as hand washing, providing hand sanitizer during practices, encouraging athletes to cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or to use the inside of their elbow, and reminding them not to spit.
- Requesting that coaches and athletes wear a face cloth when they are not able to maintain social distancing. Wearing a face cloth while conditioning may be difficult, therefore maintaining at least 6 feet of physical distancing is imperative.
- Locker rooms will not be opened. Students should come to practice in their gear, ready to work out.
- Student athlete’s temperature will be checked and logged prior to every practice with a symptoms review. Athletes with symptoms will not be able to participate, picked up immediately and will need to call their primary care provider for directions.
- If someone does get sick during practice, we have plans in place to isolate and call parent to pick up their child.
If you have a specific question about this plan or COVID-19, please contact your athletic director for more information. You can also find more information about COVID-19 at www.cdc.gov We look forward to seeing you. Now, let’s play!