Work Based Learning
Work-based learning (WBL) is an educational strategy that provides students with real-life work experiences where they can apply academic and technical skills and develop their employability. WBL programs are targeted to bridge the gap between the learning and the doing.
At HCA, WBL takes many forms!
- Being an ambassador
- Giving a school tour
- Volunteering in the Community
- Attending a field trip
- Participating in a Job Shadow
- Completing an Internship
At HCA, we want you to be aware of all your options for life after high school! Here are some resources that can help you explore:
- Salary Surfer To help students and their families make important decisions about investing time and money in a college education, the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, through Salary Surfer, is providing comparative information about the earnings of recent California community college graduates who received an award in a specific program of study. Salary Surfer uses the aggregated earnings of graduates from a five-year period to provide an estimate on the potential wages to be earned two and five years after receiving a certificate or degree in certain disciplines. This tool also provides information on which colleges offer programs in those specific disciplines. Salary Surfer does not contain information about wages earned by community college students who transfer to a four-year institution. While it is useful to know the potential earnings after receiving a certificate or degree, other important considerations, such as personal interest and skill, should be used in selecting an educational program. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions or need more information about the data and methodology used to develop Salary Surfer.
- HCA Counseling page has a lot of resources that can help you explore as well.
Take a Survey!
If you have recently completed a work based learning opportunity, please fill out the correct survey below so we can get your feedback!
- Classroom or Rounds Presenter
- Job Shadow Feedback
- Field Trip Feedback
- General Work Based Learning Experience
Write a Thank You!