Financial Aid and Dream Act

  • Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Aid also can help pay for other related expenses, such as a computer and dependent care. Thousands of schools across the country participate in the federal student aid programs.  (Source:

    There are three types of federal student aid:

    • Grants — financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund)
    • Work-Study — a work program through which you earn money to help you pay for school
    • Loans — borrowed money for college or career school; you must repay your loans, with interest


    Apply for financial aid:

    Application period: December 1st - April 2nd (applying the earliest is always recommended)



    California Dream Act - The California Dream Act allows undocumented and nonresident students (U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens) who qualify for a non-resident exemption under Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) to receive certain types of financial aid such as: private scholarships funded through public universities, state-administered financial aid, university grants, community college fee waivers, and Cal Grants. In addition, the California Dream Act, allows eligible students to pay in-state tuition at any public college in California.  (Source:

    * The California Student Aid Commission has not now, or in the past, shared any information which would indicate a student's immigration status, either documented or undocumented.


    Apply for the CA Dream Act:

    Application period: December 1st - March 2nd (best to apply during this deadline to be eligible for the Cal Grant)

Last Modified on August 31, 2023