EARN CREDITS WHILE YOU WORK
Work Experience Education (WEE) is a bridge between the classroom and the World of Work. This course embraces all levels of competencies and academic achievements. All students including those with particular needs have the opportunity to strengthen the connection between school and work and to develop positive attitudes required for success. The Work Experience Teacher will counsel and determine which category is best suited for each student and assess job hour requirement for credit allotment. In addition to on-the-job work experience, students are required to attend a weekly Work Experience related instruction class at their school site, but since we are doing Distance Learning all classes are done through Google Classroom with a Google Meet once a week. Students 16 years or older who are in grades 11-12 and who are employed at an approved "work for pay" job may be enrolled in Work Experience Education.
- 16 - 18 years of age
- 11th or 12th grade
- Have and maintain a 2.0 GPA
- Distance Learning attendance in all classes - you must attend school regularly
- Must have a legal job
- Maintain employment/work for a full semester
- Meet weekly with WEE Teacher
- Complete weekly assignments
- Submit pay stubs to verify hours
- Work a minimum of 90 hours per semester
- If enrolled in two courses you must work a minimum of 180 hours per semester
You can earn 5 to 10 credits per semester.
This is an elective course that combines Distance Learning instruction with paid employment. Students work at their jobs during the week andalso attend a class session once a week at school with the Work Experience Teacher. WEE students dvelop positive work habits and attitudes, self confidence, job skills and create a personal portfolio which can be used to locate, secure and retain employment. California and Federal Labor Codes allow minors enrolled in WEE to obtain more hours of work during the week.
WEE students can work: (After attending a regular school day)
- A maximum of 8 hours per day on a non school evening preceding a non school day
- Until 10 p.m. on a school night
- Past 10 p.m. with prior permission*
- Until 12:30 a.m. on any evening preceding a non school day
- Up to 48 hours total per week
*Work past 10 p.m. on a school night requires prior permission of parent, Work Experience Teacher and employer (LC1391.1) Must have signed form on file.
WEE students can earn 5 to 10 credits per semester for a total of 20 credits per year.
HOW DO I EARN A GRADE IN WORK EXPERIENCE EDUCATION?
Grades are earned by attending weekly meetings and completing weekly assignments in Google Classroom, submitting paycheck stubs for verification of hours work and employer's evaluations.