Franklin Work Permits


    Mr. Ronald G. Tankersley Jr.

    Work Experience Coordinator

    Franklin High School

    Office: C215

    Phone: 209-933-7435 ext. 8279

    How to Obtain a Work Permit:                                                                                                                               

      • Students will print out the Form B1-1 Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit-Certificate of Age.
      • Students will complete Minor’s Information and School Information.
      • Parent or legal guardians must sign their portion of the form.
      • Students will check the Employer COVID Procedures list to see if their employer has submitted necessary documentation of COVID Procedures. If the Employer has submitted the documentation, students will take the B1-1 to their employer - the employer must complete and sign the employer section. If the Employer has NOT submitted the documentation, the student will print the request for documentation letter and take that and their B1-1 to their employer. The employer must complete and sign the employer section of the B1-1 AND attach a copy of their COVID Safety Procedures to the B1-1. 
      • Students must return completed Form B1-1 with all signatures and COVID Safety Procedures where applicable to the Franklin Registrar's Office between 10:00 am and 12 pm any school day. The Franklin secretary will let Mr. Tankersley know that the Application has been turned in, and Mr. Tankersley will check grades, attendance and behavior to make sure the student qualifies. He will also check to make sure we have the COVID Procedures on file or they have been turned in.  
      • Students will be contacted when the Work Permit is ready for pick up (24 to 48 hours). 
      • Students must take the completed Permit to Employ and Work (Form B1-4) back to the employer.
      • If you do not have access to a printer you can pick up the B1-1 and/or Work Experience Education forms from the Front Office at Franklin.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

        IMPORTANT REMINDERS:                                                                                                                                    

        • Work Permit Applications must be signed by the employer.
        • A parent or guardian must also sign the application.
        • The student’s social security number is required to process a work permit.
        • Student ID will be verified through district records.
        • The completed “official” work permit is signed by the student and the Work Experience Coordinator.
        • Each new job requires a new work permit.
        • Minimum 2.0 GPA required for a work permit and no F’s last Quarter.
        • Summer work permits expire 5 Days after the new school year begins

        Updated 8/1/2020


    -Work Permits

    • If you have a job, you MUST have a work permit - it's the law! 


      *Before requesting an application for a work permit,

      please check to make sure that you meet the requirements:                         

      -Overall 2.0 GPA with No F's for your last quarter grades

      -No More than 12 Unexcused Period Absences for the Year

      -No Discipline Issues!!


      *These Items Will Keep You From Getting a Work Permit!                                                                       

      If you are looking for a job, or have a job you should pick up a Request for Work Permit from the main office or Print from above.

      Fill it out, have your employer fill out their section, your parents sign and return it to Mr. Tankersley. He will review your request and get back to you as soon as possible - usually within 48 hours. 

      -Which Type of Permit is Right for You? 

      Click Here to Find Out


      We Offer:

      -General Permits 

      -Work Experience Education Permits


      WEE Cap

      -Want To Earn School Credit While Working?


      Sign Up for Franklin's Work Experience Class (Independant Study):


      -Earn 5 Elective Credits per quarter if you complete all assigned classwork and work on the job at least 90 hours in the quarter.


      -You can work longer hours per day as a Work Experience Student (up to 8 hrs vs. 4 hrs per day)


      -You can work past 10 pm if approved by your Employer and Parents (up to 12:30 am)

      -Print/Complete the Following 3 Work Experience Class Forms:

      *You Must be a Junior or Senior and Meet all Requirements for a Work Permit


      B1-1 Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit-Certificate of Age,  

      SUSD Training Agreement

      Work Experience Student Contract

      Work Experience Class only accepts new Students for the first 2 weeks of each quarter.

      If You have missed the 2 week deadline... contact Mr. Tankersley at the Beginning of the Next Semester.


      If You are Interested... Make sure you meet all the requirements, fill out all the necesssary forms and contact Mr. Tankersley.




      San Joaquin County WorkNet - America's Job Center - is a great resource for people looking for work! They have a website just for high school students! 


      • Career Tech Education (CTE) 


        It's an exciting time to be involved in Career Tech Education!
        What once was known as Vocational Education has a new name and a new life in the regular school day and beyond! 
        When a student is enrolled in a CTE Course, they experience hands-on activities, guest speakers, projects that mimic real-world problems and much more! 

      • Check out the following video to learn more about Career Tech Education (CTE)! 

      • CTE Courses:


        The CTE Courses at Franklin are the stepping stones to your Career in demanding fields of tomorrow!


        Why are CTE Courses Important? 

        • Articulated with Delta College - If you earn a C or higher, you can receive college credit for them! This means that when you decide to go to college, you already have completed college courses on your transcript that can help you finish faster. 
        • Hands-On - The CTE Courses are hands-on! You will practice the things that you are learning in real life. You will take blood pressures, learn to tape ankles, you will practice your office skills. In a CTE classroom, you will be out of your seat and moving around, trying things, learning new skills and learning about the different health professions. 
        • Reinforce Non-CTE Courses - The things that you are learning in math, English, science and even PE are all reinforced in the CTE Classroom. In the CTE Classroom, you will put the learning you do in other classrooms to practical use and learn how those subjects translate to the real world. 

        Think About Your Future...

        • What are Career Pathways

          • A Career Pathway is an educational program of an aligned sequence of courses that prepares students for college and career transition in a specific part of a larger industry. A career pathway leads to multiple options for students such as early college credit beginning in high school, industry certification requirements, certificate or associate degrees, employment, and in most cases, preparation for admission to a 4-year university.

            In California, we have designated the Industries into 15 sectors and 58 pathways. (Other stats use the term Career Clusters, but they are basically the same.) Stockton Unified School District provides training in some of them and you can explore them on the pages below.  Learn more about all the career pathways in Stockton in the information below. Follow the links on the right to learn more about Industries and Pathways.


            -Link to SUSD CTE Pathways for Each School


    Helpful Links...

    • Resources:

      Let's Get A Job!


      -Resumé Examples & Tips Here

      -Free Resumé Builder Here 



      A resumé is the most common way of showing an employer who you are. It could mean the difference between getting called in for a job interview or not. This is your chance to show off your past job experience, volunteer work, grades, characteristics that make you a good worker, awards and other stuff. Check out this example of a resumé for Hollybuster Video:

      Resume Sample
      Click here to see an example »

      Some categories you can use for your Resumé:


      • Computer experience
      • Memberships
      • Awards
      • Hobbies & Interests
      • Certifications
      • Relevent Experience
      • Volunteer Experience

      General Tips:

      • Have a parent or teacher proofread your resumé.
      • Spell out everything on your resumé. Do not use abbreviations like "St." for "Street" or "Ave." for "Avenue."
      • If you have to mail your resumé, do not fold it, use a large envelope to send it.
      • Keep resumé clean, no smudges, tears or folds.
      • Do not use a font larger than 20 point.
      • Don't get too fancy with your resumé unless you are applying for an advertising or related position.
      • Only include your GPA if it is 3.0 or higher.
      • Always include area codes with each phone number.
      • Your Name should be the largest & boldest print on resumé.


       Sample Interview Questions:


      You Got A Job! 


       Links to Check Out! 

      • Job Corp
      • Peace Corp
      • Department of Industrial Relations - Do you need to know laws that apply to teen workers? Do you need to file a complaint?  If you have questions, talk to your Work Experience Coordinator. 
      • NIOSH - National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health - Find out about safety and health on the job for youth.
      • Google for Stockton Unified. Remember, this email is your You need to get into the habit of checking your .org email address on a regular basis. If you are new to the District, your password will your birthdate: MMDDYYYY. If that doesn't work, please try YYYYMMDD. 
      • Xello  will be used for career exploration, college research, connecting the dots between the career you want and the colleges that offer the matching programs. Make sure to save your favorite careers so she knows what you're looking for! To login for the first time, you use and your password will be your birthdate: YYYYMMDD (year, month date). 
      • Turn It In is Franklin's plagiarism check program for essays, reflections, presentations, etc. This program can also be used for peer marking, discussion boards and self editing. Get used to it! Many colleges utilize this program or similar ones. 
      • Typing Agent (Freshmen/Sophomores) One of the things we've noticed is that students need to type more and more, and because we haven't been taught properly, we're hunting and pecking and wasting a lot of time! Typing Agent is a great program to teach you to type properly and to increase your speed as you decrease your errors. At the end of the year, if you reach 45 words per minute with 1 or less errors a minute, you can earn a typing certificate that can help you get a job! Typing Agent has been fixed!! The username is your school Gmail Account ( and the password is 1234. Please change that after you login. 
      • How to share a Google file properly

      At Franklin... We want you to be aware of all your options for life after High School!


      Here are some resources that can help you explore: 

      • Salary Surfer  To help students and their families make important decisions about investing time and money in a college education, the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, through Salary Surfer, is providing comparative information about the earnings of recent California community college graduates who received an award in a specific program of study. Salary Surfer uses the aggregated earnings of graduates from a five-year period to provide an estimate on the potential wages to be earned two and five years after receiving a certificate or degree in certain disciplines. This tool also provides information on which colleges offer programs in those specific disciplines. Salary Surfer does not contain information about wages earned by community college students who transfer to a four-year institution. While it is useful to know the potential earnings after receiving a certificate or degree, other important considerations, such as personal interest and skill, should be used in selecting an educational program. Please contact if you have additional questions or need more information about the data and methodology used to develop Salary Surfer. 


      More Labor Law Info:


      -For more information on youth employment laws, visit the YouthRules! Web site: or call toll free 1-866-4US-WAGE (1-866-487-  9243).

      -For more information on California Labor Laws:

      -Where to File a wage or other labor related complaint with the California Department of Labor:

      -For additional information on the Fair Labor Standards Act and other labor related topics, visit the Wage and Hour Division Web site: and/or call their toll-free information and helpline @ 1-866-4US-WAGE (1-866-487-9243), available 8a.m. to 5 p.m. pacific-standard time.

      -When state youth employment laws differ from the Federal provisions, an employer must comply with the higher standard. Links to your state labor department:  

       Franklin Yellow Jackets